As you’re growing up, you will notice your parents need help and are not as independent as they were once. Elders staying at home do not admit they need help as they do not like the concept of assisted living. But, if the necessary precautions are not taken they might inflict some serious damage on themselves. Here are 10 signs to watch out for.
- Paying bills is among the most common tasks that old parents forget. You may not even realize that their bills are not being paid until you see piles of unpaid bills. This shows that they are having trouble remembering things and need your help.
- Stacks of unpaid bills can also be signs of early stages of dementia or slow decline of organizing skills. Proper care needs to be taken to determine the cause and cure.
- You may start to notice your parents’ house become grimy and cluttered. Regular tasks such as cleaning and tidying up become harder for them as they start to lose vision and mobility. This means not only they are able to see the dirt and grime but also they cannot bend down due to mobility issues. Hence, it’s your responsibility to take up this concern.
- Mobility issues will also make it difficult for old people to walk or stand. This may result in your parents’ being stuck at one place for hours without help. This can be addressed by having someone who can keep an eye on your parents 24X7.
- You will find your parent’s refrigerator piling with spoiled food and them resorting to canned or packaged food. This explains that it is getting difficult for them to take care of themselves. This also explains the unusual weight loss. This is because of their unhealthy diet plan and surely needs your attention.
- This needs to be monitored closely as missing or overdosing on medication can have adverse effects on your parents’ health. Make it a habit of checking your parent’s pill box to keep a check on their daily dosage of medication. This will help you avoid unnecessary medical crisis.
- If you find bruises on your parent’s body, it is likely that they’ve fallen and haven’t told you about it. Old people tend to hurt themselves easily hence, it’s recommended that you check their arms and legs regularly for bruises. Unexplained wounds and bruises are signs that your parents are no longer stable enough and need your help.
- Frequent mood swings and loss of interest in activities once enjoyed indicates depression. If your parents are experiencing any of these, they need your help. Proper Counselling can help cure depression.
- Did you find your parents’ house become grimy recently? This is because they no longer have the energy to keep it clean all by themselves. This is a warning sign that your parents need help.
- Getting lost in the middle of something or forgetting basic things such as closing doors suggests memory loss. Proper attention needs to be paid if your parents are facing these symptoms.
It is a fact that all people age. Ageing parents do not want to trouble their children. Hence, they try to stay at home and cumulate an unhealthy lifestyle. Some extra help from your end or from a caregiver will help seriously improve their lifestyle. Check out this infographic shared by 123 HomeCare for more information.